Native American Pottery Project

This is my Native American pottery project. Each color means something different, the darker orange represents the clay the Hopi tribe made their houses out of. The lighter yellows and oranges represent the sun and how hot it is. The only thing I would have done differently was tone down the buffing out of the colors.

I chose Cerulean because it is a soothing color. It reminds me of the ocean waves gently lapping on the beach. This represented the sky to the Native Americans. It is a royal color and was used in many ceremonies.


This is my pottery bowl. We colored the bowl with chalk. The red represents the blood shed in tribal battles. The yellow stands for the sun that was shining on the pueblos. The orange stands for the sand that the Appache tribe walked on. The bowl is very interesting and I hope you like it.

Scarlet is a much deeper color than red. Scarlet is the color of fire. Fire may be a small light but it still lights up the night sky. Fire also warms people by the campfire. Scarlet represents fire.


This project was very hard and fun at the same time. The colors on this project are turquoise and they represent the river in my poem.


In Social Studies class we wrote Native American poems about colors and nature related to the Native Tribes. I chose the color Amethyst. We then colored the pot our chosen color. My poem was about flowers and the Comanche women. 
I chose the color obsidian, (black), because it can represent the Shoshone tribe sleeping in a peaceful, dark night. I enjoyed this project.

During Social Studies, we have been studying Native Americans. We had to write a story, a poem, color a piece of Native American pottery and make some type of Native American craft. This is a picture of the pottery we colored and my poem. I wrote over ten poems, but I decided this was my favorite. My poem is about the color orchid and when the Native Americans came in contact with that color. I made my pottery with chalk. Overall this was a fun filled project that I loved!




About St. Stephen's Episcopal Day School Student Blog Archive

Here you can share some biographical information next to your profile photo. Let your readers know your interests and accomplishments.

Blog Archive